Local News


2 people, K9 Nicky die in Thursday shooting

Posted at 12:44 PM, Mar 31, 2016

Two people and a Las Vegas police dog were killed on Thursday afternoon during an incident in the northwest part of the valley.

According to police, patrol officers were dispatched to a resident in the 9800 block of Fast Elk Street near El Capitan Way and Iron Mountain Road to investigate a possible shooting.

They also received calls that a man with a gun was walking down the street and firing shots.

Upon arrival, officers encountered the armed male in the street. The man was told to drop the gun and a Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department K9 was deployed.

The man refused to surrender and shots were exchanged between the police officers and the man. The K9 was struck by gunfire and was pronounced deceased at the scene.

The suspect, who was struck by gunfire, was transported to UMC Trauma for treatment. His current condition is not known.

It was soon revealed that the K9 that was killed in the line of duty is the same dog who was attacked by a suspect during an incident after a 12-hour standoff in February. The dog, whose name was Nicky, suffered multiple cuts to his head.

Nicky, who was 8 years old, returned to work on March 10.

Police also found two people inside of a home in the neighborhood who had been shot. Both people were deceased.

The relationship between the shooter and the deceased is not known at this time. Family members gathered at the scene and were visibly upset after the shooting.

Officer involved shooting in northwest Las Vegas. Suspect has been shot, as well as a K9. Family of the suspect is in the driveway, have been yelling "this is stupid". Waiting to hear more details.

Posted by Marissa Kynaston on Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Clark County coroner will release the names of the deceased after relatives have been officially notified.

Four officers were involved in the shooting. None of them were injured. This is the fourth officer-involved shooting of 2016. Per LVMPD policy, the names of the officers involved will be released after 48 hours.

13 Action News spoke with one of the residents in the neighborhood. He said that his wife was outside when she heard screaming and gunshots. She ran into the house and grabbed the phone to call the police. She then hid in a closet until they arrived.