Local News


UPDATE: Owners of poisoned dogs threatened

Posted at 6:19 AM, Nov 24, 2015
and last updated 2015-11-24 09:19:33-05

UPDATE: A woman whose dog is back in the hospital for poisoning treatment says she's being threatened for talking to police.

Judy Miers says she told police who she thinks is poisoning dogs in Comstock Park in Pahrump.

"I've been threatened," Miers said. "My granddaughter and her boyfriend were threatened. If we didn't stop (talking(, they were going to break our windows out."

The threats didn't stop Miers from participating in a meeting with Lucy Karp, the HOA president, Monday.

Residents have been frustrated at the HOA's seeming indifference to this issue.

Karp says they'll be putting up notices on the community bulletin boards and will alert residents about what's happening at meetings and in newsletters.

She says no formal complaints have been filed with the office, and it's a matter to be dealt with by police.


Nye County Sheriff’s Office are investigating reports of poisoned dogs.

Officials said they have received four different complaints of poisoned dogs in the Comstock Park area of Pahrump.

Residents want it to stop. They held a rally Sunday to raise awareness of the problem.
A couple dozen people stood out in front of Comstock Park with signs that said "My [Dog] Max Was Murdered" and "My Baby is Dead."
Elizabeth Payton believes her dog Copper was murdered. She says Tuesday night he wasn't walking straight and vomited up chicken bones.
There was also a green, grainy substance in it. Her veterinarian told her it was poison.
"To sit there and watch him seize for 12 hours and hear him cry, it was the worst thing I've ever been through," Payton said.
Debbie Cullen was one of the rally organizers. Her mother's dog died this week too.
"I went out in the yard and found bacon, hot dogs and chicken that looked like it had foreign objects in it," Cullen said. "Turned it into the Sheriff's Department and Homestead Animal Hospital and it was analyzed and determined to be poison."
A fifth dog, Apache, was in the hospital for two days and Cullen says he's now fighting for his life.
Apache's owner told Action News the vet said it could've been pesticides or antifreeze in the dog's system.
Homestead Animal Hospital was closed Sunday for comment.

The Sheriff’s Office believes these instances are all related and asks that anyone with information contact detectives at 775-751-7000 or confidentially via e-mail at ncso_detectives@co.nye.nv.us.