UPDATE: Coroner identifies woman killed in house fire started by candle

UPDATE MAY 18: The Clark County Coroner identified the woman who died from the fire as Debra Marie Deihl from North Las Vegas. 

The official cause of death was determined to be thermal and inhalation injuries.

ORIGINAL STORY

Firefighters responded to the scene of a fire around 2 a.m. Monday at 5029 N. Vista Del Rancho near West Washburn Road.

One person was transported to University Medical Center. A dog and cat were also rescued from the fire. 

The fire department reported later that the victim died. North Las Vegas Fire says the victim is a woman who was approximately 56 years old. They also said that the fire was caused by an unattended candle. 

When firefighters arrived, they say the woman was standing outside of her home.  

Neighbors told 13 Action News that the incident is making them think twice and they plan to be extra careful when using candles.

The North Las Vegas Fire Department told us that fires caused by candles have declined in recent years because of flameless candles but it still happens. They advise using proper holders for the candles and make sure they are not near anything that could catch fire. 

Print this article Back to Top