This is a roundup of all of the news on the day following the mass shooting in Las Vegas that has claimed 59 lives and left more than 500 with injuries.
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department held another press conference to provide updates about the shooting.
According to Undersheriff Kevin McMahill, officials are still days away from finishing the investigation in the shooter's hotel room.
Southbound Las Vegas Boulevard is back open, and two northbound lanes are also open. They anticipate the entire street should be open again later tonight.
McMahill also gave details about the timeframe of the shooting. The first call about the incident came in around 10:08 p.m. and the gunman stopped firing around 10:19 p.m. During that time, he fired over a dozen volleys on and off.
He says that there is a significant amount of body camera footage from officers at the scene of the shooting and that LVMPD is in the process of combing through the footage.
McMahill also described the heroism of Charleston Hartfield, who was attending the Route 91 concert with his wife. Hartfield was an LVMPD officer for 11 years, and gave his life protecting others. A memorial will be held for him at 6 p.m. Thursday at Police Memorial Park, located at 3250 Metro Academy Way.
The Clark County Coroner confirmed that 59 people have died as a result of the mass shooting. That number includes the gunman. All 59 people have been tentatively identified. Their identities will be released around 9-10 p.m. this evening.
The Family Assistance Center, located at the Las Vegas Convention Center, will continue to operate 24/7 until at least 5 p.m. Wednesday. Officials will determine if the center will run 24/7 beyond Wednesday around noon tomorrow. So far 1000+ people have been served at the center.
So far there have been 3,000 reports of missing persons following the mass shooting.
Las Vegas police say that the southbound lanes of Las Vegas Boulevard South are open to traffic. The northbound lanes between Tropicana Avenue and Russell Road are still closed.
Many of the marquee signs on local hotel-casinos will display a special message between 6:30 p.m. tonight and 7:30 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority.
Dr. Jay Coates called the emergency room where he works a 'war zone' on Sunday night. He says that saw many types of injuries that night and patients were stacked and packed everywhere. He also said that patients were lining the halls and it was controlled chaos.
President Trump will arrive Wednesday morning in Las Vegas. READ MORE.
Dozens of people showed up again at 3 a.m. Tuesday morning to donate blood to the victims of the mass shooting. Other people showed up at the donation center with water and food for those who were waiting to donate.
The Office of Personnel Management confirms that suspect Stephen Paddock has a prior federal work history. All of Paddock’s prior federal employment dates back more than 30 years.
OPM has employment records for Paddock reflect the following civilian federal service:
- Temporary appointments with the U.S. Postal Service: June 9, 1975 to Sept. 5, 1975; December 2, 1975 to December 31, 1975; and June 1, 1976 to July 8, 1976
- July 9, 1976 to Jan. 27, 1978, Letter Carrier, U.S. Postal Service
- Jan. 30 1978 to Feb. 11 1984, Internal Revenue Agent, Internal Revenue Service
- Feb 12, 1984 to Sept. 9, 1985, Auditing, Defense Contract Audit Agency
Sheriff Joe Lombardo held a press conference Tuesday afternoon with the latest details in the shooting.
All but three of the 59 victims have been identified. The number of injured has decreased slightly but Lombardo did not provide an exact number. He said the types of injuries are across the board from gunshot wounds to trample injuries, among others.
He emphasized any sort of nonperishable goods for victims and families should be donated to Three Square food bank or Catholic Charities.
Lombardo also provided an update to the search of the suspect's Reno home, which included finding 5 handguns, 2 shotguns and a number of electronics. The number of firearms found so far is now at 49, including firearms found in his Mandalay Bay hotel room and his Mesquite home.
The suspect also used at least one camera outside the room, possibly to monitor approaching police, this in addition to a camera found inside the suite Monday.
The sheriff said the incident was obviously premeditated, which makes the whole incident even more troublesome. But it is unknown whether the suspect was targeting the Route 91 Harvest Festival itself. The shooting itself lasted about 9 minutes.
Lombardo said people staying Mandalay Bay were a huge help in pinning the suspect down.
The woman who is a person of interest in the shooting is in the Philippines and police have remained in contact with her.
Lombardo thanked the FBI and various first responders for their partnership and help the past few days.
Las Vegas police announced that they are canceling all National Night Out events that were scheduled for tonight.
All National Night Out events that were scheduled for tonight, Tuesday, Oct. 3 have been cancelled. Thank you for your understanding. pic.twitter.com/WFMO8XcIYU
— LVMPD (@LVMPD) October 3, 2017
Reporter with Boston 25 posts photos of guns reportedly found in shooter's hotel room. READ MORE.
Reaction of celebrities to mass shooting on Las Vegas Strip. READ MORE.
Las Vegas police announce in tweet that Las Vegas Boulevard will remain closed Tuesday between Tropicana and Russell. Motorists are asked to avoid the area.
Late-night talk show host and former Las Vegas resident Jimmy Kimmel made an emotional speech during his show on Monday night about the mass shooting that claimed so many lives in Las Vegas.