Report: 1 October gunman fired over 1,100 shots, had 4K rounds of ammo

UPDATE NOV. 23: The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports new information from the 1 October shooting.

Lombardo was aware of the previously unreported total because the Metropolitan Police Department’s forensics lab is working in conjunction with the FBI to process all ballistics evidence from the mass shooting, which left 58 concertgoers dead and more than 500 injured.

Investigators have not determined why Paddock stopped shooting. Lombardo said they found about 4,000 more rounds of unused ammunition in the gunman’s suite.

The sheriff also mentioned that “multiple weapons” had jammed.

The gunman reportedly fired 1,100 shots, not the previously reported 900, during his attack on the Route 91 Music Festival and had over 4,000 rounds of ammunition in his room when police entered.

UPDATE OCT. 25: The details around 1 October mass shooter Stephen Paddock get stranger by the day. As law enforcement continues to piece together a motive for Paddock's attack, unforeseen obstacles arise.

The latest news surrounds Paddock's laptop and the lack of information authorities have been able to gather from it.

ABC News released a report saying that Paddock's hard drive was missing when they found it in his hotel room.  

A laptop computer recovered from the Las Vegas hotel room where Stephen Paddock launched the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history was missing its hard drive, depriving investigators of a potential key source of information on why he killed and maimed so many people.

Paddock is believed to have removed the hard drive before fatally shooting himself, and the missing device has not yet been recovered, sources told ABC News.

Investigators digging into Paddock’s background also learned he purchased software designed to erase files from a hard drive, but without the hard drive to examine it is impossible to know if he ever used the software, one source said.

Without these clues law enforcement is struggling to figure out what drove Paddock to kill 58 attendees of the Route 91 music festival and wound more than 400 others.

ORIGINAL STORY OCT. 2: The stage is set for what could be the turning point for the Las Vegas Shooting investigation.

Las Vegas Police have promised a new, more accurate timeline of events, by Friday. The current timeline has been called into question publicly, even called inaccurate.

MGM Resorts International released the following in a statement Thursday:

“Although we prefer not to comment on the details of the investigation, we are issuing this statement to correct some of the misinformation that has been reported. The 9:59 p.m. PDT time was derived from a Mandalay Bay report manually created after the fact without the benefit of information we now have. We are now confident that the time stated in this report is not accurate. We know that shots were being fired at the festival lot at the same time as, or within 40 seconds after, the time Jesus Campos first reported that shots were fired over the radio. Metro officers were together with armed Mandalay Bay security officers in the building when Campos first reported that shots were fired over the radio. These Metro officers and armed Mandalay Bay security officers immediately responded to the 32nd floor. We will continue to work with law enforcement as we have from the first moments of this tragedy as they work toward developing an accurate timeline.”

 As for getting the motive to the shooting, newly released search warrants give a clearer picture of what investigators were hoping to find in Stephen Paddock’s Mesquite, Nevada home.

Listed items in the search warrant include: digital or physical items indicating planning, ideology and/or preoperational surveillance, in addition to cameras and video equipment.

So far, investigators have said the items are not helping clear up the motive mystery.

"He used his experience as a traveler, a gamer, high roller, he used all of it to manipulate, what appeared to be normal behavior to conceal his plan to do an attack,” said LVMPD Assistant Sheriff Tom Roberts, in a one-on-one interview Tuesday with Contact 13.

In the meantime, the relative of at least one deceased victim has filed documents in court. The documents ask for a special administrator to be appointed, specifically requesting the administrator to take control over the suspect’s property, bank accounts and anything else of value to prepare for lawsuits and legal claims.

Print this article Back to Top