Las Vegas doctor sounds alarm about 'hot water challenge'

Indiana teen severely burned after prank

A Las Vegas doctor is sounding the alarm about the so-called "hot water challenge."

The challenge consists of either drinking boiling water with a straw or having the liquid poured on you. 

"They're watching this on social media, and then they're trying it on their own," said Dr. Daliah Wachs, "When you lose your skin, one of the biggest risks is not only infection but dehydration."

A teenager in Indiana was severely burned after he says a friend poured boiling water on him.

"I just got up," said Kyland Clark, "and I ripped my shirt off."

Clark says the friend was inspired by the challenge.

"My skin just fell off my chest," said the 15-year-old.

Dr. Wachs says drinking boiling water from a straw can be deadly too.

"You could swell up so badly that you could stop breathing, almost instantaneously," she said.

The doctor says parents need to be aware of these pranks and talk with their kids.

"The next challenge is already happening before we even know about it," she said. Dr. Wachs suggests taking note of bruises, scratches and abrasions on your children.
 
 
 
 
Print this article Back to Top