Local News


YOU ASK. WE INVESTIGATE. Las Vegas family living in hotel after finding mold

Posted at 8:20 PM, Mar 28, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-28 23:20:35-04

A valley family has been living in a hotel for about two weeks after finding mold in their home near Cheyenne Avenue and Rainbow Boulevard.

The shower is where you go to clean up, but Joseph Jaffer said his shower area was a big mess.

They spotted a leak on the side of the tub and said a handyman from their rental company came to fix it. When he removed that wall, he exposed mold behind it. 

"He just tore the wall apart and exposed the mold and said, 'hey it's 5 o'clock, I gotta go home,'" said Jaffer.

Someone came and tested the air for mold.

Jaffer said they found high levels all over the house, not just in their room. They took clothes for a few days, but have been living in a hotel for about two weeks, because they are afraid of the mold in the air.

"It makes me feel sad, mad, just hard," said Jaffer's son, Adrian Santana.

13 Action News reached out to their rental company, King Futts. They said they sent a certified company to do mold remediation and offered to let them out of their lease. They also promised they would go back to the house and take out more mold.