Local News


Doctor's office closes during woman's pregnancy

Posted at 12:16 PM, Nov 25, 2015
and last updated 2015-11-25 15:16:15-05

Rosemary Videc didn't know what to expect with her first pregnancy, but says it had been surprisingly easy.

"It's been very exciting," she said. "I've loved every kick. There's nothing like it, it's just incredible."

That is until her obstetrician and gynecologist's office closed. Videc said Dr. Susan Boyd's office called her after the doctor had a stroke.

"That she had an emergency, a medical emergency and my appointment had to be canceled the next day and I just freaked out," Videc said.

The doctor then referred her to another obstetrician who doesn't deliver at the hospital she chose. So Videc started looking for another doctor in the middle of her third trimester. She couldn't find one to take her.

"Past 32 weeks is too far to get a new patient or we need to see all your records," Videc said. "We can't see you without knowing your medical history, what your pregnancy's been like."

Dr. Boyd's office on Charleston looked empty inside. Her office voicemail asks current patients to leave their information to get their records. Videc said she did that multiple times and no one ever got back to her. She also contacted the state medical board.
"I was freaking out," Videc said. "I was at work and I spent like half the day doing it and I was just completely stressed out. I'm like, 'Am I going to be in labor?' This is not the kind of stress I need."
The Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners says state law mandates doctors turn over patient records within 10 days of being asked. But what happens when a practice just shuts down?
They said the law doesn't say much and it's a gray area as to who takes over the records and what the patients can do.

Videc ended up going to the obstetrician and gynecologist Dr. Boyd's office referred her to. She spent about 7 weeks trying and never got her records.

Action News reached out to Dr. Boyd's office several times but didn't hear back until Tuesday, hours before the story was set to air. They said they made records readily available to all patients and had no record of Videc contacting them for her records.

Despite the hassle, Videc delivered a healthy baby girl just days ago -- Kayla Rose.