Local News


YOU ASK. WE INVESTIGATE. Cooking dinner turns into kitchen nightmare for local mom

Posted at 7:53 PM, Aug 10, 2016
and last updated 2019-04-12 20:32:37-04
After a fire in her kitchen, a valley mom expected a quick fix. But after two weeks, her kitchen is still damaged, and she has nowhere to go.
A normal night cooking dinner on the stove for her family, quickly became a disaster.
"I turned to go to the refrigerator...and when I turned back around it was up in flames," said Margeret Daughtery.
Daughtery said her stove was on fire. She said she put it out and called the fire department and her apartment maintenance. By the time the maintenance man got there, she said the fire department was gone.
"When he came, he said he couldn't see anything, because of course the lights were out, and he'd be back tomorrow," Daughtery said.
Tomorrow turned into a week and maintenance still had not done anything. Daughtery called the city to see if the apartment complex, located near Sahara Avenue and Nellis Boulevard, was in violation. 
The burned area was too small for the city of Las Vegas to take action against the complex. But after the city came, she said some of the damage was fixed.
"They cleaned the floors, they fixed the breaker, and they put a new stove in there. But they left the wall they way it was and the cabinets, they just left it like that," said Daughtery.
13 Action News went to Promenade at Sahara to get some answers, but they did not get back to us by deadline. We also emailed their parent company, Prime Residential, but did not hear back.
We did find out Daughtery warned them about issues with the stove. 
She moved in June 22 and put in a work order for her stove on June 23.
"There was a stove that one of the burners when you'd light it, it would spark," she said.
Paperwork says someone came out and fixed the stove, but Daughtery said that is not the case.
We will follow up with the apartment complex and get answers for Daughtery.