LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The brutal wind in Las Vegas made the temperatures feel about 10 degrees cooler Monday night. Parts of the valley could dip below the freezing mark this week.
Fire officials say that's usually when we see fires. The preventive tips are same whether the fire is sparked in a vacant home or an occupied home.
"The reason we have fires with space heaters is because people improperly use them," said Tim Szymanski, the public information officer of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.
The most important rule for space heaters is to plug them directly into the wall. Extension cords can spark fires. Also keep the heater at least three feet away from anything that could burn like a sofa or a curtain.
Turn off space heaters and electric blankets when you go to sleep.
Szymanski says you should never use your oven for heat.
"It's actually cheaper to go get a space heater and sit in front of it," he said.
It's also a good idea to check your carbon monoxide detector.
"We've found anywhere from five to ten people unconscious in the same home because of bringing outside cooking devices in," said Szymanski.
Szymanski says you should have a technician check your heater once every two years.