Local News

Actions

Electric blanket blamed in west Las Vegas house fire

Posted at 4:17 PM, Jan 07, 2019
and last updated 2019-01-07 23:03:05-05

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — If you use an electric blanket to keep warm at night, you might want to check to see if it’s in good shape.

A Las Vegas family found that out the hard way, as investigators blamed a house fire on an electric blanket.

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue units were called to a home on Mount Brodie Circle, near Durango and Alta Drives, overnight Monday with reports of a fire.

Fire crews said this was the second time the home caught fire in 24 hours. As investigators reported, an electric blanket was left on, and it sparked the fire in a back bedroom.

No one was home at the time of the blaze, and no one was injured, according to officials.

During the cold months, we’ve heard of fires being started by space heaters, but electric blankets can also be a danger too, according to a former North Las Vegas fire captain.

“You want to make sure to try to have them inspected, meaning you’re looking that the cords are not damaged, making sure they are in proper use,” Cedric Williams said. “Experts recommend to not sleep with them either.”