Local News


Guy tries to put out stove fire with garden hose

Posted at 11:39 PM, Feb 14, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-15 08:34:05-05

After a family noticed flames in their kitchen at their home near Nellis and Charleston boulevard, a valley man takes matters into his own hands.

Brent McFarlane wanted to try and put out the fire by himself. His friend's daughter told him something was burning in the kitchen. McFarlane looked for a fire extinguisher, but couldn't find it. Instead, he ran outside, grabbed a garden hose, came back in the house, and started spraying!

When the fire department did arrive, they commended McFarlane for being so brave, but they also called him dumb. They said he could have passed out from smoke inhalation and that it's never a good idea to spray water on a fire started by oil.

"I just kept spraying it and it wouldn't go out. I was afraid that if the house caught on fire because these are duplexes, like two together. I was afraid that if it spread, it was going to go to our neighbors house," McFarlane said.

The fire never ended up spreading to the neighbor's home. The damage remained in the kitchen. No one was injured in the fire.