Local News


Fire causes $100K in damage at apartment complex

Fire causes $100K in damage at apartment complex
Posted at 3:45 PM, Jun 25, 2017
and last updated 2017-06-25 18:45:44-04

A fire at the Charleston Garden Apartments caused $100,000 in damage on Sunday.

Firefighters were called to the scene near Charleston and Nellis Boulevards around 12:07 p.m. Upon arrival, they spotted flames coming from two upstairs apartments. They called for a second alarm because of the heat.

The fire was out within ten minutes. Two upstairs units suffered heavy fire damage, while two downstairs units had slight water damage.

One person complained of smoke inhalation but left the scene before an ambulance arrived.

An investigation revealed that the fire was accidentally by a stove in one of the units. The occupant told officials that the stove was malfunctioning and would turn itself on. A pan of grease was found on the stove top where the fire started.

It's unclear how many people were affected by the fire, but the Red Cross was asked to respond with a possibility of at least 50 people needing assistance.