LAS VEAGAS (KTNV) — Multiple businesses were damaged, and others were left without power after a massive 2-alarm blaze burned through a strip mall in east Las Vegas late Monday night.
“It was around midnight when I got the phone call,” business owner Alex Cabrera said.
Cabrera owns a tax service inside the strip mall and said she has never dealt with anything like this.
A fire overnight ripped through his business and two other stores at the mall near Nellis Boulevard and Stewart Avenue. With smoke damaging other businesses as well.
“I was scared; I was concerned about my property, my business,” Cabrera said,
Luckily, no one was injured in the fire, according to authorities.
Tuesday, businesses owners were left cleaning up what’s left.
Cabrera also said the fire came at the worst time, hitting his business during the busiest time of the year.
“Claiming to the insurance company, getting the power back and we are in income taxes season, so we need to get back in business,” Cabrera said.
Here are a few tips to preventing a similar fire from happening to your small business:
- First, check stairwells if you have them.
- Don't store things like boxes that could become a hazard or block your entry or exit.
- Also, check wires. Look out for any broken connectors or any exposed wiring coming from an appliance.
- Additionally, unplug anything in the building at the end of the workday to prevent a spark.
- Don't forget garbage removal.
- Experts also say to remove garbage on a daily basis, and even get your co-workers together to establish a schedule to remove it all timely.