Local News


Fast-moving fire caught on camera consumes apartment in under 90 seconds

Posted at 4:13 PM, May 11, 2018
and last updated 2018-05-11 21:16:32-04

A Las Vegas family says they are lucky to be alive after their apartment burst into flames early Thursday morning near Cheyenne Ave. and Nellis Blvd.

Kasanne Anderson and Zyera Dorsey say they woke up to a hellish nightmare after an explosion from their apartment patio.

“[Zyera] woke up with flames in her face and I woke up to screaming everybody fire, fire, fire," said Anderson.

The family of nine, including six children, had less than 90 seconds to escape intense flames and choking black smoke.

“There was orange everywhere," said Anderson. "The heat that was coming from the patio was tremendous," she added.

Video provided to Contact 13 shows the apartment and everything the family had inside is ruined.

"We had pictures, clothes, none of that was able to be saved at all," said Dorsey. "I just don’t want to think about all of the things I’ve lost," she added.

The family considers themselves lucky, even though they lost everything.

“We are very, very fortunate because there are incidents like this to happen all the time and people don’t make it out," said Dorsey.

The family has received a voucher from the Red Cross of Southern Nevada for clothing and Dorsey's insurance company is providing assistance for temporary housing.

Additional details on how the family needs help can be found here.