Local News


Family of young teen killed demanding answers

The body of Aaron Jones was discovered in desert
Posted at 11:49 PM, May 02, 2017
and last updated 2017-05-05 02:24:56-04

UPDATE: As Aaron Jones' family continues their search for answers, they are also remembering the 13-year-old.

Dozens of relatives on his mother's side gathered near the desert lot where his body was found to hold a small memorial.

His 11-year-old sister, Ariona Jones, was among those writing messages on a poster about the candles lit in honor of Aaron before release balloons with similar writing. 

"I love him, and he was brave and he will always be on my heart," Ariona Jones said of her brother.
"How much did he love his cars? " She was asked.
"A lot.  I would always play with him," Jones responded.
The family also held a brief prayer for the teenager, with many of the older relatives still working to come to grips with the mistakes that may have contributed to Aaron's death. 
 "He was just 13 years old.  Just a child.  We are wondering why didn't he just give him back.  Give him back.  We would have moved anything just to have him," Tara Walker, Aaron Jones cousin said.
The family says they are now working to support Ariona as she continues to deal with the loss of her brother.

ORIGINAL STORY: Relatives of Aaron Jones are demanding answers after documents show the 13-year-old was checked on by Child Protective Services for years.

"I am so angry right now at the system," said Great Aunt Charla Carter.
Carter, like the rest of the family, was horrified when Aaron's body was discovered in an east valley desert lot last month.  Police have charged the teens father, Paul Jones, and another woman, Latoya Williams-Miley, in connection with his death.
13 Action News obtained a public disclosure form from the Clark County Department of Family Services.
According to the form, there were eight reports alleging neglect and abuse in the past decade.  The allegations in the April 2016 report were found to be substantiated and the child was taken into protective custody.
The document states the court closed the case on June 8, 2016.
Carter said that's when Aaron moved in with his father.  She believes that was a mistake considering the father's history.
"How in the world are you going to give these people two kids?" she said.
13 Action News, alongside the family, will continue to work to uncover the facts in this case.
Jones and Williams-Miley are being held without bail.  They're set to appear in court in July for a preliminary hearing.