Local News


Family of AZ teen allegedly abducted speaks out

Posted at 7:07 AM, Dec 08, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-08 10:07:06-05
The family of a teenager police say was kidnapped and abused by a North Las Vegas man is speaking out for the first time.  
Action News is not releasing the names of relatives in order to protect the identity of the victim.  
On Monday evening, the girl's grandparents shared their gratitude for her safe return. 
"The support of the community, the support of our family, the support of the coworkers outstanding," said the 14-year-old's grandfather. 
"She's doing OK, she's very tough, very smart girl," said the girl's grandmother. 
The family's nightmare began Nov. 3 after they found a note stating the teen had run away. 
"You get empty right away and cry," said the grandmother. 
Desperate relatives turned to police, neighbors, and even Facebook for help.
Despite the search, there was no trace of the teen in Bullhead City. 
"You wake up in the middle of the night and you try to think the best," said the girl's grandfather, "and then the bad things come in your mind."
North Las Vegas police said Jimmy Carter Kim, 26, picked her up in a white van in Bullhead City, then took her to his house where he locked the girl in a room and repeatedly raped her. 
A month later, the teenager worked up the courage to escape.  
"We got the call from the detective in North Las Vegas, everybody just cried," said the girl's grandfather.  "We all commented what a brave girl."
Investigators said it's possible the girl is not the only victim.
Police in Reno said Monday that Kim was suspected of holding another teen captive in his home earlier this summer.  The 15-year-old was at a shelter for runaways when she said she met her attacker online.  
Meanwhile, relatives of the 14-year-old want the suspect to be held accountable.
"I want him to go to jail for a very long time," said the girl's grandmother. 
"If you got teenage kids, young kids, small kids, watch them," said the girl's grandfather, "if they have access to the Internet, monitor them."
Kim is facing charges of kidnapping and sexual assault.  
Bail was set for $680,000 Monday during his first court appearance.