Local News

Actions

Electrical fire displaces Henderson family of 5

KTNV-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 1:33 PM, Dec 29, 2015
and last updated 2015-12-29 16:33:11-05

A family of five and their three pets were displaced by a electrical fire in Henderson Monday afternoon.

The Henderson Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 200 block of West Rochell Drive, near Van Wagenen Street and Pacific Avenue, around 4:15 p.m.

The first arriving engine company observed smoke coming from the roof near the chimney of a one-story single family residence, Henderson fire reported. Firefighters entered the residence to attack the fire and discovered it involved the attic space.

The crew withdrew from the house and firefighters continued with a defensive fire attack from the exterior. They were able to contain the fire to the attic and prevent it from spreading to other portions of the home, garage and vehicles.

Residents were home at the time of the fire and were notified by neighbors who saw smoke coming from the roof. All occupants were able to safely exit the residence.

There were no injuries to residents or fire personnel. Firefighters rescued one dog that was not injured.

Three adults, two children and three pets were displaced by the fire.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental and electrical in nature. The total loss is estimated at $395,000.