Local News


Las Vegas dog lucky to be alive after rattlesnake bite

Posted at 5:31 PM, May 01, 2018

A local dog mom says her Golden Retriever is lucky to be alive after he was bit by a rattlesnake.

Owner Ashley Heffernan showed 13 Action News where 7-year-old Lucky was bitten, along a back trail near Southern Highlands.

"He basically jumped and so she walked over and saw the snake and she double checked and it was a rattlesnake," says Heffernan.

Lucky was rushed to a nearby animal hospital for treatment. He's now doing much better, with just a scar left behind on his nose.

Some local vets in the valley are urging dog owners to keep a close eye on the dogs over the next couple of months.

"Dogs are inquisitive and they tend to get into areas where snakes may be hiding," says Dr. Debbie White, Lone Mountain Animal Hospital.

Dr. White says between April and September rattlesnake activity is extremely common in the valley, at all hours of the day.

According to Dr. White, anytime there is an increase in temperature it brings rattlesnakes out during the day to soak up the sun. She goes on to say now more than ever, it is important for dog owners to keep their pets nearby at all times.

"A lot of people allow their dogs to roam during hiking," says Dr. White. "Keep them under leash control or voice control so they are very close."


We've compiled some quick tips from The Nevada Department of Wildlife and Dr. White if your dog comes in contact with a snake:

1. Avoid Contact: The Nevada Department of Wildlife says not just for animals but for people to a void rattlesnakes as well.

2. Take a picture of the snake: If your dog is bit by a snake, don't try to catch the snake. A simple cell phone picture will do. This will help the veterinarian determine if it is in fact a rattlesnake, and how much antivenom to administer.

3. Take dog to animal hospital immediately: Rattlesnake bites can be fatal. Because the snake contains potentially fatal venom, the dog needs immediate medical care. Don't try at home remedies like wraps or ice, according to Dr. White.