All charges dropped against dad of Las Vegas quintuplets

UPDATE AUG. 16: Deon Derrico, father of 11 children, tells 13 Action News that he is no longer facing any charges.

Derrico was acquitted of rental fraud charges earlier this year. But, the Nevada Attorney General decided to press forward with tho other fraud charges.

Those charges were dropped Tuesday, according to Las Vegas Review-Journal

A co-defendant in the case plead guilty to a misdemeanor. 

ORIGINAL STORY

After a five-year battle, the father of the Las Vegas quintuplets is acquitted of rental fraud charges.

The Derricos became instant celebrities in 2013 when they became a family of eleven. The family was featured on both local and national television shows.

"That's when all hell broke loose," said dad Deon Derrico.

Derrico was facing multiple charges, including felonies. Prosecutors alleged the father forged quitclaim deeds to force a change of ownership and collect rent.

"Nothing seemed to change their minds once they decided I was guilty," said Derrico.

Derrico said he cooperated with the investigation all along because he was innocent.

"The homeowner I bought this from came back later," he said, "...and alleged that I hadn't because they wanted more money."

Jurors reached their verdict after a trial that lasted a week. They acquitted Derrico of all but two counts related to notarization of a signature. Prosecutors say they'll reexamine the merits of the case at the next hearing.

Meanwhile,the family is grateful that this is all over for now. The investigation spanned the life of the quintuplets. 

The family says the case has forever changed their lives.

Mom Karen Derrico was pregnant with triplets last year. She says she believes she lost one because of the stress of the upcoming trial.

"We believe that everything, it happens for a reason," she said. "This was our test for our testimony."

 

Print this article Back to Top