Local NewsCrime


UPDATE: Man attacked with chemicals at work comes face to face with suspect

Suspect in court for preliminary hearing Tuesday
Posted at 1:03 PM, Jan 05, 2018

UPDATE APRIL 24, 2018:  13 Action News spoke with Kenneth O'Brien more than 3 months after the attack.  

"You expect a lot of things that might happen but nothing like what took place at all," he said.

O'Brien detailed the extremely painful assault.  He said he felt like his skin was on fire for weeks.  Since the attack, he's had multiple surgeries and countless doctors appointments.  He said this was an injury that got worse with time.

"My mouth was growing closed," he said.

On Tuesday morning, he came face to face with the suspect identified as Christopher King.

O'Brien testified during a preliminary hearing.

"It was rough," he said.

More than anything he says he wants to know the motive behind the alleged attack.

"My sentence is far worse than what he's getting or will get," he said.

O'Brien says he keeps his face partly covered in public.

"It's ugly," he said, "...I don't want to scare people."

UPDATE JAN 5, 2018:  13 Action News spoke with the victim, identified by police as, Kenneth O'Brien.

"I've never felt anything like that in my entire life," he said.

O'Brien has been the front desk clerk at the weekly suites for nearly two years.

"My goal when I went in there is to make everybody's life better," he said.

The 60-year-old says he was at work when a tenant walked in and threw the chemical substance at his face.

"He yelled that he finally got me," said O'Brien, "...I just couldn't understand what he was talking about because we really had no issues."

Loved ones are horrified at the attack.

"He cried because he won't be able to help anybody anymore," said Candy Hunter.

Hunter, who has been with O'Brien for years, said he always strived to leave a positive impact in the community. 

"He got a lot of gang people out of there, he got a lot of felons out of there," she said.

Doctors say O'Brien has bad injuries including retinal scarring. 

The family has created a GoFundMepage to cover expenses.

ORIGINAL: A man has been arrested after Las Vegas police said he threw chemicals into a person's face last week.

The incident was reported at 5:40 p.m. Dec. 30 in the 4300 block of Boulder Highway, near Desert Inn Road. Police said the suspect, identified as 60-year-old Christopher King, threw concentrated toilet bowl cleaner, Guaranteed Hair and Grease Removal Drain Cleaner, at the victim's face before returning to his trailer. 

According to the arrest report, multiple residents of Town and Country called police saying something had been thrown in the victim's face. Upon officers arriving, the victim said his face, mouth and eyes were on fire and various parts of his body felt like they were on fire.

Doctors eventually determined he sustained scarring burns on his face and it is unknown whether he'll be able to see again as there is retinal scarring. 

When police located the suspect, they said King was threatening to kill himself with a knife to his throat. He eventually dropped the knife at the officers' commands and was arrested. 

King has been charged with mayhem and battery with substantial bodily harm. 

The manager of Town and Country provided police with photos showing the suspect throwing the chemicals at the victim in the front office.