Local News


Man arrested on terrorism charges after breaking natural gas line

Posted at 3:14 PM, Jul 19, 2017
and last updated 2017-07-19 18:17:06-04

A man who was arrested on July 13 after a 4-hour standoff with police on Interstate 15 is facing terrorism charges after an incident that happened at SLS Las Vegas.

According to an arrest report from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, Kareem Elkadmiri was spotted outside the hotel-casino around 3 p.m. on July 9. He exited his vehicle and damaged a landscaping sprinkler system with what appeared to be a large metal rod. Afterward, he drove further down the street, exited his car again, and broke a valve on a natural gas line valve with the metal rod. Gas began leaking out into the open.

About 15 minutes later, he drove into the east parking garage on the second floor and busted a fire suppression water valve. He then removed the sun visor from his car, put it on the ground, kneeled on top of it, and began to pray with his head to the ground.

He got back inside of his car around and stayed until about 5:25 p.m., where he drove behind a pillar and damaged another fire suppression valve. It is unknown when he left the parking garage. The initial value for the damage was estimated at $2,500.

Elkadmiri was found on July 13 around 5:17 p.m. after a call from a citizen about a suspicious vehicle in the parking lot of 150 North Durango. They attempted to take him into custody for his actions at SLS Las Vegas. He refused to exit the vehicle, and officers set up a perimeter. Around 6:30 p.m., he drove out of the perimeter, over a curb, and headed eastbound on Westcliff Drive.

Officers pursued Elkadmiri through a neighborhood, where at one point he was traveling 60 miles per hour in a 25 mile per hour area. At one point he drove into oncoming traffic. He then turned onto southbound U.S. Highway 95.

Eventually, Elkadmiri made his way onto southbound Interstate 15 where he pulled over to the right shoulder under the overpass at St. Rose Parkway. Police set up a perimeter around his vehicle. At one point he got out of his car and retrieved a gas can from the trunk. Fearing he would try to commit an act of destruction, police moved the perimeter back and waited for SWAT officers to arrive.

SWAT officers eventually removed Elkadmiri from the vehicle without harm. He was taken into custody around 11:45 p.m. 

Elkadmiri admitted to police that he was high on meth while he was at SLS Las Vegas, and had no recollection of his actions. He was charged with terrorism for breaking a natural gas line, as natural gas is very flammable and could potentially cause severe injuries if ignited. Elkadmiri was also accused of destroying property and disobeying law enforcement officials.