With the excessive heat expected for the next several days in Las Vegas, the Courtyard Homeless Resources Center cooling station operated by Chicanos Por La Causa Nevada (CPLC Nevada) and the City of Las Vegas is offering tips to stay safe in the brutal heat.
Here are some tips below:
- Keep a bottle of water within arm’s reach. It’s easy to forget to hydrate throughout the day, keeping water nearby serves as a good reminder to refuel regularly.
- Rest more. In high temperatures, your body needs time to recover in a shaded or air-conditioned area. Take as many breaks in a cool location as possible.
- Continue to wear face coverings and practice social distancing even when the weather is hot. COVID-19 remains a threat and we all need to stay vigilant.
- Limit caffeine and alcohol as they are both diuretics and advance dehydration in the body.
- Know the warning signs of a heat-related illness including dizziness, nausea, rapid heart rate, chest pain and difficulty breathing.
The cooling station at the Courtyard Homeless Resource Center is open from 6:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. daily and is located on 1401 Las Vegas Blvd N.
PREVIOUS STORY: Keeping yourself, vehicle running during Vegas' summer heat