Local News

Actions

UPDATE: City of Las Vegas says no data lost during data compromise

security-265130_1920.jpg
Posted at 3:39 PM, Jan 07, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-08 11:14:38-05

UPDATE JAN. 8: The City of Las Vegas tweeted on Wednesday morning that they do not believe any data was lost from their systems and no personal information was taken.

ORIGINAL STORY
The City of Las Vegas says it experienced a "cyber compromise" on Tuesday morning.

Details of the compromise were not immediately known and the city says more information should be available in the next 24 hours.

“They’re running on old operating systems, they’re running old routers," said technology analyst Rob Enderle.

"These things have already been found to be vulnerable."

SIMILAR STORIES:

Enderle says cyber security risks are not just common at the local level of government. Even federal agencies are not totally secure, he says, which puts things like power grids, communications and other critical infrastructure at risk.

The city says breach attempts on its data systems are common, with an average of 279,000 attempts each month.

Read the full statement from a city representative on Tuesday's compromise below:

The city of Las Vegas experienced a cyber compromise at 4:30 a.m. PST Tuesday. The city’s Information Technologies Department is assessing the extent of the compromise. When aware of the attempt, the city immediately took steps to protect its data systems. People interfacing with the city may experience brief interruptions of service, but so far those interruptions have been minimal. The city will have a clearer picture of the extent of the compromise over the next 24 hours.