Local News


Las Vegas FD: Careless smoking causes house fire Thursday morning

At least 2 cats killed in fire
Posted at 12:27 PM, Nov 07, 2019
and last updated 2019-11-07 17:03:23-05

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Careless smoking started a house fire on Thursday morning, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.

The fire started in the front bedroom of the home on Junction Village Avenue near Tenaya Way and Craig Road. LVFR says that a person sleeping in the room woke up to use the bathroom, lit a cigarette, and left.

The other person sleeping the room woke up because the room was getting extremely hot and realized the was on fire.

The occupants tried to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher, but the fire grew more substantial.

They then went outside and tried to stretch a garden hose to the bedroom, but it was too short.

Next, they tried to get water from sinks and douse the flames, but that didn't work either.

When the fire department arrived, flames were shooting out the front window of the one-story home.

A couple of older adults were also seen running in and out of the front door. Firefighters prevented them from re-entering the home and began attacking the fire.

The fire department says there were five adults total, covered in smoke, at the scene. Initially, it appeared that they might be suffering from smoke inhalation, and several units were dispatched to the scene for possible transport.

However, they refused to be taken to the hospital and were treated at the scene. The American Red Cross is now helping them.

Firefighters also rescued several cats and revived them using a special pet mask.

There were 11 total cats in the house, according to the residents. At least two died in the fire, and a few left the scene.

The fire has been ruled accidental. Damage has been estimated at $75,000.