Local News


8 displaced after house fire

Posted at 6:04 AM, Jun 20, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-20 20:39:43-04
Eight people were displaced after a house fire near Charleston Boulevard and Nellis Boulevard.
Firefighters started battling the flames around 12:30 a.m. Monday.
People inside the home reported a smell of something burning inside their home. Firefighters located a smoldering fire in the attic upon arrival. The fire was smoldering because it had run out of oxygen in the somewhat concealed space of the attic. When firefighters opened up the attic space, the addition of fresh air brought the smoldering fire to life, and the entire attic became heavily involved in the fire.
The flames were put out in a matter of minutes. No injuries were reported.
"I didn't have any idea. I didn't know what happened. It just started all of a sudden," said Christina Whittaker, who was inside the home sleeping when the fire started.
"It's crazy. I've never seen nothing like it before," said Whittaker.
Damage is estimated to be around $80,000.
Firefighters think the fire started from an electrical issue in the attic space.