Six adults and four children are displaced after their home catches fire Monday evening. Officials say fireworks are to blame.
According to the Henderson Fire Department, a set of used fireworks reignited in a trash can, catching two parked vehicles on fire and spreading to the garage of an adjacent home.
It happened in the 1100 block of Enchanted Court, near Burkholder Boulevard and South Racetrack Road, at about 11:15 p.m.
The American Red Cross responded to help the family get back on its feet.
Red Cross spokesman Frank Rutkowski says it was a hard scene to look at.
"You're watching people go through the saddest time of their life,” said Rutkowski. “They're losing everything that they own and a lot of times they don't even know what to do after this and where to go."
There were no injuries to residents or firefighters, but Rutkowski says the family is dealing with a lot of heavy emotions.
"They're in shock,” said Rutkowski. “That's the best way to describe it. They're in shock."
The total estimated loss is $105,000.
Firefighters recommend submerging spent fireworks in a bucket of water and soaking them overnight before discarding in a trash container.