Local News

Actions

5-year-old girl recovering after severe fireworks burns

Sariya Brown spent over two months at UMC
Posted at 11:29 PM, Oct 20, 2016
Sariya Brown, 5, is recovering after she was severely burned by fireworks on the Fourth of July near Grand Teton and Buffalo drives.

"I felt like bad, but I made it through it," she said.

The brave little girl spent weeks in the intensive care unit at University Medical Center with second and third degree burns that covered half of her body. She's had multiple surgeries along with skin grafts.

"I went through all this stuff at the hospital," Sariya said. "I went through all my medicines."

Jaime Brown, Sariya's dad, said it was the worst case nurses had seen in a decade.  

"You could never imagine seeing your daughters' face, just agony and pain," said Brown. 

"Every time my mom rubs it," Sariya said of her burns, "it kind of hurts."

She was burned after a prohibited firework accidentally shot into a nearby garage, striking Sariya.

"You can't prepare for an accident," said Brown. "We always watch our kids, kids don't even go to daycare."

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 230 people on average go to the emergency room each day with fireworks-related injuries around the July 4th holiday.

Although Sariya is slowly getting better, there's still a long road to recover ahead.

The family has created a GoFundMe to help cover medical expenses.

Brown fears the insurance company will not cover all procedures, arguing that they are cosmetic.  Loved ones do not want scars to stop Sariya from accomplishing her dreams.