Local News

Actions

4 displaced after discarded cigarette causes Henderson garage fire

KTNV-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 10:45 PM, Sep 08, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-09 01:45:08-04

A cigarette discarded near the garage started a fire and damaged a Henderson home this evening, displacing four adults.
 
The Henderson Fire Department responded to a residential structure fire in the 1000 block of Via Calderia Place, near Lake Mead Parkway and Mohawk Drive, at about 5:25 p.m.
 
The first arriving engine crew observed heavy smoke coming from the garage of a one-story single family residence. Firefighters initiated an offensive attack and contained fire damage to the garage.
 
Four residents were home when the fire started. They were alerted to the fire by the home's smoke detectors, and safely evacuated the residence before calling 911.
 
Five engines, one truck, two rescue units and an air resource apparatus responded to the fire.
 
There were no injuries to residents or firefighters. Four adults and two dogs were displaced by the fire and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
 
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental. The estimated loss is $107,000 for the structure, contents and one vehicle.