Local News

Actions

UPDATE: Man loses everything after shed catches fire

Posted at 5:22 AM, Nov 04, 2016

One person was injured in a fire Friday morning at a residence in the 4900 block of East Monroe Avenue near Nellis Boulevard and Washington Avenue.

Las Vegas Fire & Rescue responded to a call at 4:15 a.m. Upon arrival, they discovered that a building behind a house was on fire.

LVFR says that the power to the property had been disconnected and the owner was using generators to supply electricity through extension cords.

The man was apparently refueling or mixing fuel for the generator when there was a sudden flash fire which extended to the outbuilding.

Dave Wright said he was able to get the fire out briefly.

"At that point it flashed a second time, and that is when it became unstoppable," Wright said.

Wright, who described himself as a hermit, says he lost everything in the fire.

Wright suffered minor burns to his legs. He refused to go to the hospital and was treated at the scene.

Some residents in the area said they heard a sound like an explosion.

"I heard a big bang," says one neighbor, Justin Spaziani. "The firefighters were on the spot quick."

Damage was confined to the outbuilding. Damage was estimated at $65,000.