LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The Federal Drug Administration says don't be fooled by companies promising over-the-counter flu cures or prevention methods -- none currently exist.
There are over-the-counter medications to help address flu symptoms, like a fever, but the best way to prevent the flu is to get a vaccine, the agency says.
Still, the FDA says there are products out there with misleading labels and claims being sold in popular retail stores and online.
Be on the lookout for flu and antiviral products being sold without a prescription, which may claim to:
- Reduce the severity and length of flu or other viral infections.
- Boost your immunity naturally without a flu vaccine.
- Act as a safe and effective alternative to the flu vaccine.
- Prevent catching the flu or viral infections.
- Be an effective treatment for flu or viral infections.
- Provide faster recovery from the flu or viral infections.
- Support your body’s natural immune defenses to fight off flu or other viruses.
Read the full FDA consumer alert here.