Freezing weather is expected to continue in Las Vegas this week and homeowners are urged to follow a few proven steps to prevent pipe damage and plumbing repair.
When cold air enters the perimeter around your residence, it causes piping to expand which often leads to leaks, breaks and other potentially costly repairs. Stopping this expansion and freezing is key to keeping your pipes operational.
Gary Eisenhauer, a manager at The Sunny Plumber in Las Vegas, recommends a few preventative tips as the weather turns cold. These include:
- When a freeze is expected, slowly run one or two faucets to keep water moving through the lines.
- Outdoor hoses and their connection to water sources are particularly vulnerable to freezing weather. Eisenhauer advises consumers to unscrew hoses from the outdoor facet to allow for drainage and keep outside hose bibs open to allow water to drain.
- All outside pipes and hose spigots should be insulated as best as possible. This is easy to do with the purchase of an installation kit from your local hardware store.
- Pipes running against exterior walls, like those in kitchens, are often subject to freezing and typically have little to no insulation. Keep cabinets under kitchen and bathrooms sinks open to allow for warm air flow to prevent freezing.
- Pipes in unheated areas like basements, attics and near garages are also susceptible to damage from cold. Take special care to insulate these areas.
- Heat tape is a great product to insulate water pipe. These “pipe sleeves” could be as simple as newspaper wrapped around pipes to keep them warm and insulated.
- During cold spells, Eisenhauer recommends keeping your thermostat set at the same temperature during the night and day – this helps regulate temperatures and prevent unwanted expansion.
“In Las Vegas, we are used to sunny, dry and warm conditions so thinking about our pipes freezing isn’t too common,” said Eisenhauer. “By following a few tips and using common sense, homeowners can avoid a costly and messy situation.”
The above content was provided by The Sunny Plumber. Publication of tips do not imply that we recommend The Sunny Plumber.
About The Sunny Plumber
The Sunny Plumber offers the highest quality plumbing services throughout the Southwest. All plumbers are experienced in solving a wide variety of plumbing problems including drain cleaning, leak detection, sewer line and garbage disposal repair. The company also sells, installs and services standard and tankless water heaters. All plumbers are background-checked, drug-tested, and receive continuous technical training to make them the best in the industry. For more information, visit