Here is a list of 13 things to do this week in the Las Vegas area for Sept. 8 through 14:
1. Spend the night under the stars with your family at Craig Ranch Regional Park on Sept. 8. There will be karaoke, Wii games on a gigantic 40-foot screen, a DJ dance party and a showing of the movie "Sing" at the Craig Ranch Campout. Children of all ages and their parents or guardians welcome.
2. Jesse Keith Whitley, son of Keith Whitley and Lorrie Morgan, performs Sept. 8 at Stoney's Rockin Country. His controverisal debut single "Kentucky Thunder" in 2011 told the story of 3 generations of men raised in the hills of Kentucky.
3. The Ho'olaule'a Pacific Islands Festival is back at the Henderson Events Plaza on Sept. 9 and 10. Celebrate the rich heritage and culture of the Hawaiian Islands. There will be Polynesian dancers, hula dancing, island food, crafts, fine art, a business and career fair, workshops and more.
4. Comedian, political commentator and talk show host Bill Maher performs Sept. 9 at The Mirage. Mahrer targets many topics during his show including religion, politics, bureaucracy, political correctness and mass media.
5. Bite of Las Vegas is back at Desert Breeze Park on Sept. 9. This year's food and music festival features performances by Neon Trees, Rachel Platten, Leann Rimes, Eve6, Vertical Horizon, Shawn Hook and others. Local and national restaurant will also be serving samples of their signature dishes. And, there are amusement rides, bounce houses and more.
6. Celebrate the desert at Justice for our Desert on Sept. 9 at ReBar on Main Street. There will be a drum ceremony, various speakers, lots of live music, an open mic, free food and more.
7. It's all about fish at the Sin City Aquarium Show on Sept. 9 at Alexis Park. Freshwater and saltwater tanks. Buy, sell and trade. Tons of vendors. $1 raffle items and free entry. Presented by Las Vegas Marine Society.
8. A fall wine tasting is taking place Sept. 9 at Downtown Container Park. Enjoy a variety of wine as you walk through the park. There will be live music and food and retail specials. Tickets are $25.
9. The Coffee Writing Club will meet Sept. 10 at Writer's Block in downtown Las Vegas. Each session begins with a brief introduction of coffee being served followed by an hour of silent writing time and a 30-minute discussion period. No registration required.
10. The monthly Las Vegas Blues Society Jam will feaure Billy Ray Charles & The Boyz in the Parking Lot on Sept. 10. Support local live blues music and enjoy food and drink specials at Las Vegas' only real honky tonk bar.
11. The 38th annual San Gennaro Feast kicks off Sept. 13 near 215 beltway and Durango Drive. It is the biggest Italian food and music festival in the state of Nevada. Enjoy your favorite Italian food, check out the variety of vendors, take the kids to the petting zoo, go for a spin on a carnival ride and enjoy live music.
12. The Dorian Wind Quintet performs Sept. 14 at UNLV Performing Arts Center. ecognized by critics, audiences, and professional musicians alike for its uniquely polished and passionate performances, t quintet is known worldwide as one of chamber music’s preeminent ensembles.
13. The popular local rock tribute band, Yellow Brick Road, has a new residency. They perform every Thursday night at The Sayers Club inside SLS Las Vegas. Originally an Elton John cover band, YBR has been performing for more than 20 years in Las Vegas.
If you would like to submit an item for a future 13 Things, send a press release to firstname.lastname@example.org.