Changes coming to local bus stops to improve safety
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The Regional Transportation Commission and the City of Las Vegas are working to make bus stops safer throughout Southern Nevada.
The City of Las Vegas announced Monday it is pledging $1 million to buy up private property to move bus stops back at least five feet.
The changes come months after a horrific crash that killed four people as they were waiting for a bus on Spring Mountain near Decatur back in September.
Mayor Goodman said that deadly crash inspired the city to take action and prevent future accidents.
The city announced its plan to evaluate bus stops in the city to determine which ones need to be moved back.
Studies show that extra five feet can make all the difference for riders' safety.
"We're working with the City of Las Vegas to prioritize shelters that need to be moved back," said Tina Quigley, general manager of the RTC. "We've got a list of about 150 to 200 that we'll be able to fund through this million dollars."
Quigley said the projects will be prioritized by which bus stops see the most riders and the highest levels of traffic.
The $1 million funding will be available starting in July. In the meantime, officials will start prioritizing which bus stops need immediate attention.
Officials say the site of last year's deadly crash, the bus stop on Spring Mountain near Decatur, won't be eligible for changes because it rests on county land. However, the RTC is working with private owners there to see if the bus stop can be moved back.