Police, parents and school officials all on high alert Friday
Police presence is visible at many local schools on Friday. Video by ktnv.comvideo
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Clark County school officials and local police are on high alert one week after the massacre at a Connecticut school.
Since the tragedy at Sandy Hook, rumors of threats have swirled at Las Vegas-area schools. Friday also marks the last day of school before winter break, which authorities say is reason itself for heightened vigilance.
Police warned parents earlier this week to monitor their students' activity on and offline, and report anything suspicious. Students were also told to report any threats to authorities.
At Canarelli Middle School, a letter was sent home with students outlining security measures taking place. Those measures include locking all doors and having staff members man the entrances.
Police vehicles were visible at schools across the Valley all week, particularly on Friday, when several of the threats were rumored to take place.
"Anything they can do to reassure the kids that it is safe is wonderful," said Myreen Schenbach, a parent at Foothill High School said.
Some guardians made the choice to keep their children home from school, but school district officials said those absences would not be excused.
Foothill High School administrators asked students to leave backpacks at home as an extra safety measure. Not all students were pleased with that.
"The fact that no one is allowed to bring backpacks to school and the fact that kids think it's funny to start rumors after what happened is absolutely ridiculous," said Raychel Bitterman, a Foothill student.
School police said overall, about 17 threats were investigated this week. Of those, none were found to have any validity.
Anyone with information on possible threats is asked to call the district tip line at 702-229-0228.