Family grateful to be alive after carbon monoxide scare
A local family is grateful to be alive after a carbon monoxide scare. Video by ktnv.comvideo
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Lisa Sims had a fan going as she finished her Thanksgiving cooking. She didn't have one the night before, when her family started preparing their meal.
"The only thing you smelled in here was the greens and the cooking, we were doing a little taste-testing and stuff," Lisa said.
But all of a sudden, there was beeping. It wasn't the smoke detector, it was the carbon monoxide detector in the hallway.
"It's never gone off before," Lisa said.
The family called 911. When emergency crews arrived, they ran some tests and took the children to the hospital for treatment.
"It was 66 percent carbon monoxide in here," Lisa said.
Carbon monoxide alarms were installed in the apartments a couple of years ago. The family said they wouldn't have thought to put one in on their own. Now they want others to know how vital they are.
"They need to put them in more apartments," Lisa said. "They need to make them a part of the building, they way they have sprinkler systems."
The family says the detector is the reason they are able to finish their Thanksgiving cooking and celebrate together.