Father, son die in house fire started by explosion
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV)- A wife is mourning the loss of her husband and son who died in a fire Thursday night. Video by ktnv.comvideo
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- A wife is mourning the loss of her husband and son who died in a fire Thursday night on Bartlett Avenue in the northeast part of the valley.
Las Vegas Fire and Rescue says a man was working on his boat at about 6:30 p.m. when a spark ignited gas vapors and caused an explosion. The flames from that fire spread into the house creating a wall of flames reported to climb and extend 20 feet.
Las Vegas and North Las Vegas police officers were nearby and ran to the back of the house to try and rescue the family.
Struggling with bars on the windows they were able to get the wife out. A 13-year-old boy was trapped inside the smoke-filled home was later found by firefighters. He was taken to University Medical Center, but declared dead a short time later. His father was found dead near the rear of the boat.
The two officers who tried to rescue the trapped teen and the mother were all treated for smoke inhalation. They are all expected to recover.
Bartlett Avenue is located near North Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and West Carey Avenue.