2-alarm fire at Vegas resort hurt 1, cost $100K
LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Officials now say a smoky fire at a Las Vegas Strip resort hotel was caused by sparks from workers using a grinding tool, and turned out worse than they originally reported.
Clark County spokesman Dan Kulin said Thursday that a hotel employee was hospitalized with unspecified injuries, and the two-alarm fire at the Planet Hollywood resort caused $100,000 worth of damage.
Kulin says about 90 firefighters evacuated three floors of the 40-story north tower after the fire was reported a little before 10:15 a.m. Thursday.
Kulin initially reported the fire was smoke in a trash chute on the fifth floor.
He now says fire sprinklers activated and firefighters spent more than an hour dousing smoldering areas along the trash chute from the second to ninth floors.