Child playing with lighter starts condo fire on Soaring Gulls
Courtesy: Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Las Vegas Fire and Rescue responded to the Desert Shores Villas condo complex on Soaring Gulls Drive, near Rampart Boulevard and Cheyenne Avenue, around 5:30 p.m. Saturday for a fire.
When crews arrived, fire was coming out the front door and balcony of an upstairs condo unit.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames in the living room in less than a minute.
The fire gutted the living room area, damaged the balcony and caused heat and smoke damage to the rest of the unit. Damage is estimated at $25,000. No other units were damaged.
Investigators determined the fire was started by a child playing with a lighter. The child does not live at the condo, but was visiting relatives.
Another adult was home at the time but was in one of the bedrooms. The child came in and told them the condo was on fire.
They tried to put the fire out by using an extinguisher, but were unsuccessful. The fire started on a sofa in the living room.
Four adults and the young child are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross for temporary housing.
No injuries were reported.