Refrigerator fire causes $80,000 in damage to apartment
Courtesy: Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Fire crews were called to an apartment fire Saturday evening.
It happened just after 8:30 p.m. in the Sheppard Hills Apartment Complex on Simmons Street.
When crews arrived, heavy flames were coming out of a side door and from the patio. It took firefighters about ten minutes to bring the fire under control.
No one was hurt. However, one adult and three children are displaced because of the fire and are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
The fire has been ruled accidental by fire investigators, with it starting in the refrigerator.
Two girls were home at the time and heard what sounded like firecrackers going off inside the refrigerator. When they opened it, the inside was on fire.
One of the girls grabbed a fire extinguisher and sprayed it on the fire. But the fire continued to grow, so the girls evacuated.
The fire gutted the kitchen and caused substantial damage to the rest of the unit and attic area. Damage is estimated at $80,000.