Fire at Henderson condos caused by careless smoking
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- A preliminary investigation has confirmed that Monday afternoon's two-alarm fire at the Mission Ridge Condominiums on Carnegie Street in Henderson was caused by careless discard of smoking material.
The fire started at about 4:25 p.m. and quickly swept through the condos.
The first unit to arrive on scene found heavy smoke and flames showing through an upstairs window of one of the units.
Crews attempted to make entry but were driven back by the heat and smoke.
A second alarm was called and more fire crews arrived to assist.
It took several hours to get the fire under control. One civilian was transported to the hospital but no firefighters were injured during the incident.
Several families have been displaced by the fire. They are currently being assisted by the American Red Cross.
If you would like to make a donation to help local families who have lost their homes to fire, please call (702) 369-3674 or go to www.redcrosslasvegas.org to make secure online contribution to Fire Hurts…Red Cross Helps. All of the money donated stays in Southern Nevada and is used only to aid fire victims.
Damage is estimated at $760,000.