Jailhouse interview: Bellagio robber admits he's "an idiot"
From behind bars, the man accused of robbing the Bellagio admits to trying to pull off the crime and says he's "an idiot." Video by ktnv.comvideo
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- From behind bars, the man accused of robbing the Bellagio admits to trying to pull off the crime and says he's "an idiot."
Michael Belton agreed to speak with Action News reporter Blake McCoy saying he has "nothing to lose at this point."
- Reporter: "At no point did you think maybe we shouldn't rob a casino? Maybe there is an easier target?"
- Belton: "Of course that ran through my mind but obviously it didn't run through my mind good enough. The money seemed too good."
Speaking to us from jail, Belton is facing serious felony charges and is careful with his words.
- Reporter: "Did you do it? Did you rob the Bellagio?"
- Belton: "Well attempt. I wouldn't say I did it. More of an attempt. I never walked out with anything."
That's because a Bellagio pit boss tackled Belton before he could get away with $115,000 in chips.
A witness snapped a photo of Belton being tackled and we showed it to him for the first time.
- Reporter: "When you look at that, what do you think?"
- Belton: "I'm an idiot."
Belton says he entered the casino Saturday night wearing a wig and sunglasses with a man who goes by "Carlos." Carlos pepper sprayed the dealer while Belton grabbed the chips.
- Belton: "I was walking up to the table and it was all just a blur."
- Reporter: "You don't remember much of it?"
- Belton: "I remember it but I couldn't really see. Just adrenalin going."
Belton says the mastermind was another man named Carlos, 43 year-old Carlos Rodriquez of Los Angeles, CA, waiting in the wings for a chip hand-off.
Rodriguez claimed to be a high-roller who could return to the casino at a later date and exchange the chips for cash.
- Belton: "He thought he had it all planned out. Knew exactly what pit bosses and stuff would do. Knowing that if somebody had pepper spray or stuff like that, they are supposed to back off. Which obviously was wrong because I got hit as soon as I touched the chips."
Belton was caught immediately. The other two men got away.
- Reporter: "Are you irritated that you're the only one sitting in a jail cell right now?"
- Belton: "Oh I'm pissed the f*** off right now.. but I deserve it. Just like they deserve it."
Belton says he will cooperate with police in catching the other two men if detectives ask for his help.