Health insurance rebates
You could be getting a check in the mail from your health insurance company. According to the Health and Human Services Department, health insurance plans owe consumers $1.1 billion in rebates.
The Affordable Care Act requires companies to spend at least 80 percent of subscriber premiums on health-care claims and quality improvement initiatives. The other 20 percent is left for administrative costs and profits.
Health plans that don’t hit that threshold will send a rebate to consumers to cover the difference. Checks go out this summer.